Monday, September 24, 2007

What Makes a Dream Home?

Sometimes dream homes take a little bit longer to create than the turn key commercials make you think. I actually see them all the time. So do you. Commercials advertising construction companies' services by actually false advertising. How? They tell you, "Here it is- the home of your dreams, in the perfect neigborhood. Just turn the key and presto, you're there."
I quite disagree. First of all, what defines a home of your dreams? We'll get to that later. A perfect neigborhood? What on earth defines that? In the most perfect of neigborhoods there is always something, or rather someone, that makes it perfectly unperfect. Turn the key and presto? I don't think so. When a house lacks furniture, it can hardly be called a dream home yet, and certainly when it lacks people it lacks the term "home." But that's what I'm getting to.
My family and I are preparing to move into a house we are just closing on. It's in the location we want it, with all the amenities we want it to have, and even designed the way we would design it ourselves. What makes me write about this today is the fact that we have been out furniture shopping all day long, as we have been faithfully doing for the past week. Furniture and a beautiful home might, to some, be considered a faithful definition of a dream home, but again, I quite disagree.
To me, a dream home is only a dream if the people you love dwell in it with you. Otherwise, to me this "dream home" would be rather empty, and therefore not a dream at all. I would far rather live in a shack, certainly not a physically appealing home, and be the happiest surrounded by those I love - and those who love me - than in the finest home advertised anywhere.
Where my family is, where those I love are, that is my dream home. Certainly my family and I would love to be hospitable with the great tool of a beautiful home, but first things first. My family and I will truly have a dream home when we're in it.
For those of you who have heard about our planned move to Rockford Bay, congratulations! For once you have not heard wrong, and happily, things are moving about as planned. I am delighted to say that by mid October we should be tucked in nicely in our new home. Our dream home, with furniture - but most of all, with us.

2 comments:

Leah Christine Imagery said...

What a lovely blog, written by a lovely young lady! :) *hugs to you, my friend*

Cheri said...

Hello Sarah! =)